Celebrate Preston County History Day, September 16
Enjoy a scenic drive on Preston County History Day. You will learn about the past at five interesting historical sites around the county. This event is scheduled for Sunday, September 16.
View this county map (.pdf)Â for the locations.
Times and locations are:
- Arthurdale Heritage, a five-building complex representing the New Dealâ€™s first subsistence homestead project, (noon â€“ 4:00) on Rt. 92
- Aurora Area Historical Society, exhibiting artifacts from the 1930-â€˜40s donated by local families, (1:00 â€“ 4:00) along Rt. 50 in the old general store building
- Kingwoodâ€™s James McGrew House, 1841 home built by the prominent businessman involved in the formation of West Virginia, (1:00 â€“ 3:00) on Rt. 7
- Szilagyi Center in Rowlesburg featuring the World War II Museum, Preston County Sports Museum, and B&O bridges exhibit, cafÃ© and shops, (1:00 â€“ 5:00) on Rt. 72
- Terra Alta History House, with 3 floors of Preston County history exhibits, photos and genealogy records, 109 East Washington Street (1:30 â€“ 4:30)
Admission is charged at some sites.Â The next Preston County History Day will be on October 21.