See the fall foliage in the mountains and enjoy Preston County History Day on October 21 at four historical sites around the county. The county map can help you plan your trip.
View this county map (.pdf) for the locations.
Times and locations are:
- Arthurdale Heritage, a five-building complex representing the New Dealâ€™s first subsistence homestead project, (noon â€“ 4:00) on Rt. 92
- Bruceton Mills, Old Hemlock, country home of outdoors author George Bird Evans. Seven-room stone/log house constructed in 1782, (2:00 â€“ 5:00), 17098 Brandonville Pike
- Kingwoodâ€™s James McGrew House, 1841 home built by the prominent businessman involved in the formation of West Virginia, (1:00 â€“ 3:00) on Rt. 7
- Szilagyi Center in Rowlesburg featuring the World War II Museum, Preston County Sports Museum, and B&O bridges exhibit, cafÃ© and shops, (1:00 â€“ 5:00) on Rt. 72
- Terra Alta History House, with 3 floors of Preston County history exhibits, photos and genealogy records, 109 East Washington Street (1:30 â€“ 4:30)
Admission is charged at some sites.