Explore the history at your back door. Celebrate Preston County History Day on Sunday, July 15 at five historical sites around the county.
View this county map (.pdf)Â for the locations.
Times and locations are:
- Arthurdale Heritage, a five-building complex representing the New Dealâ€™s first subsistence homestead project, (noon â€“ 4:00) on Rt. 92
- Kingwoodâ€™s James McGrew House, 1841 home built by the prominent businessman involved in the formation of West Virginia, (1:00 â€“ 3:00) on Rt. 7
- Szilagyi Center in Rowlesburg featuring the World War II Museum, Preston County Sports Museum, and B&O bridges exhibit, cafÃ© and shops, (1:00 â€“ 5:00) on Rt. 72
- Terra Alta History House, with 3 floors of Preston County history exhibits, photos and genealogy records, 109 East Washington Street (1:30 â€“ 4:30)
- Tunnelton Train Depot Museum, the 1913 brick train station once operated by the B&O Railroad, (1:00 â€“ 3:00) on Boswell Street
Admission is charged at some sites.Â Future Preston County History Days will be observed on the third Sunday of each month through October 21.