Welcome to Arthurdale, the nation’s first New Deal homestead subsistence project championed by First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt. The first homesteaders arrived in 1934 and each property was 2 – 5 acres in size to allow the families to raise food and livestock. Modern amenities not commonly available around the country at that time – electricity, indoor plumbing, and a refrigerator – were provided to all 165 homes constructed by the federal government as a way to help families during the Great Depression. This ground-breaking project’s public buildings have been restored by residents who appreciated this second chance at life and knew the value of preserving it. A five-building museum is now open to the public year-round to tell the special story of the First Lady’s legacy.
- Posted January 30, 2015
Spring will be here soon, and that means sunshine, flowers, and gardening! When you buy top-quality flower bulbs from Flower Power through our fundraising page,Â 50% of your dollars come back to AHI. Make your garden the envy of the neighborhood while supporting our future growth!
Browse the selection of flowers onlineÂ or stop by the office to look through the Flower Power catalog.
- Posted January 29, 2015
On Saturday, April 11 you can support Arthurdale Heritage by purchasing unique items at the spring auction to be held at the Reedsville Fire Hall. Previews begin at 9:30am, and the bidding begins at 11 a.m. We hope to see you there!
Come for some really interesting things, including:
- a 7-day 3-animal South African safari
- 14â€™ Tri-Hull boat with 85 h.p. Johnson motor and trailer
- 2 day/1 night golf package at Lakeview Golf Resort & Spa
- Blue mig welder
- 36×60 Aker jacuzzi tub (8 jets,Â 3/4hp motor)
- Red clay pigeon shooter, plus several boxes of clay pigeons
- 30-30 lever action Marlin rifle
- Ruger M77 Mark II,Â 7mm Remington magnum,Â 3-9 Bushnell scope + more guns
- Vintage upright pianoÂ (donated by Peaslee’s Service Station)
- Char-Broil Advantage Black/Stainless 4-Burner (32,000-BTU) Liquid Propane Gas Grill with Side Burner (donated by Lowes at Pierpont)
- a dinner for 6 at the Cox Roosevelt Inn at Stone Wall Farm
- Pinball machineÂ (donated by Peaslee’s Service Station)
- 2 electric turkey fryers
- Chest freezer
- Stationary bike
- Bowflex machine
- Brand new air conditioner
- Vintage German grandfather clock and wall clock
- wood gun case
- Royal Lace depression glass
- WVU collectibles
- Indian head pennies, buffalo nickels, and other collectible coins
- and lots of household and personal use items.
Refreshments will be available. Cash, checks and credit cards accepted.Â Can’t attend the auction? Call the office by Friday, April 10 and place your bid ahead of time
We hope to see you there!
Details about the Somerby Safaris Trip Donation:
7 Day Trip for 1 hunter to hunt the following trophies: 1 Wildebeest, 1 Blesbuck, 1 Impala
Hunt Description: 5 Day Rifle Hunting Safari in the Limpopo or Free State region of South Africa
Donation includes daily rates for 1 hunter for hunting days and trophy fees.
- Hunter has to pay his own way to Johannesburg Airport.
- Hunter will first be met on night of arrival at Johannesburg International Airport. Overnight accommodation for this evening is $150 per person (not included). Hunt is all inclusive, no hidden costs or fees.
- Lodging and full board are included in our famous South African style lodges.
Terms and Conditions:
- Safari to take place during 2015 on dates that we have available, or any date of your choice during 2016.
- The animals or any part of the donation cannot be exchanged or refunded. In the unlikely event that the hunters do not have an opportunity to hunt the animals included in the donation, it may be exchanged for a trophy of similar value.
- Hunt may not be taken in conjunction with another donated African hunt.
- Night of arrival is charged at $150 per person.
- Additional days may be added at $300 per day.
- Additional hunters may join the safari at $300 per day.
- Non-hunters are at the cost of $200 per day.
- Additional trophies may be taken at price list rates.
- Additional scenic trips and excursion can also be arranged..
Consult the website for more information: www.somerbysafaris.co.za
- Day 1: Leave USA
- Day 2: Arrive in Johannesburg, South Africa – Our luxurious African lodge is just 30 minutes from the airport. Cost of full board and lodging (for this day only – all other days included) is $150 per person.
- Day 3-7: Hunting days 1-5
- Day 8: Hunt in the morning if necessary and travel back to airport for evening flight back to USA.
- Day 9: Arrive back in the USA
- Additional days may be added to the safari at cost mentioned above.
- Trophy fees for the animals mentioned in the above – taken, wounded, or lost.
- Daily fees for the amount of days specified which include:
- Transfers to and from Johannesburg Airport
- Services of a professional hunter and use of a hunting vehicle
- Accommodation, full catering, and daily laundry service
- Liquor in moderation
- Field preparation of trophies and delivery to local shipping agent
- Any species not specified in the donation or additional animals selected at the price list rates of the year that the hunt takes place in.
- Dipping, packing, and shipping of trophies.
- Accommodation before or after contracted safari period.
- All air fare
- Gratuities and personal expenses, such as phone calls
PLEASE CONTACT SOMERBY SAFARIS AS SOON AS YOU HAVE PURCHASED THIS DONATION TO SCHEDULE YOUR SAFARI.
Please look up our website to see the exciting activities we offer for non-hunters, useful safari information, and pictures of our lodges and hunting areas.
- Posted January 10, 2015
Spring and Summer meeting and event rentals for Arthurdale Heritageâ€™s historic Center Hall are now being scheduled for weekday/weekend use. Discounted rates for weekday use are offered. Capacity is 100 for a meal service (with on-site catering kitchen) and larger for meetings. Call the office at 304-864-3959 or check here for availability.