Welcome to Arthurdale, the nation’s first New Deal homestead subsistence project championed by First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt. The first homesteaders arrived in 1934 and each property was 2 – 5 acres in size to allow the families to raise food and livestock. Modern amenities not commonly available around the country at that time – electricity, indoor plumbing, and a refrigerator – were provided to all 165 homes constructed by the federal government as a way to help families during the Great Depression. This ground-breaking project’s public buildings have been restored by residents who appreciated this second chance at life and knew the value of preserving it. A five-building museum is now open to the public year-round to tell the special story of the First Lady’s legacy.
You can help raise money for Arthurdale Heritage while doing your online Christmas shopping at no additional cost! Arthurdale Heritage will receive the listed commission for everything purchased through our Give Back America link.
Shop by most popular online retailers such as Best Buy, Home Depot, Netflix,Â Amazon, Target,Â Walmart, Petco, and more. You can also search by category such as appliance & electronics, art/photo/music, automotive, baby & kids, books/media, clothing & accessories, and more.Â There are 1004 online retailers available through AHI’s Give Back America.
Thanks to everyone who came out to the Festival of Trees Friday evening and Saturday! We had a wonderful time hosting everyone in the museum. If you have ideas for next year, let us know. WBOY has this report about the event on their website.
Arthurdale Heritage Hosts Festival of Trees Weekend
Winning guess for number of candy in clear bucket is Laura Rye!
The winner of the 1930s reproduction quilt is Joyce Hileman!
Winning Bidders for the silent auction items:
- Wreath w Santa Valley Pharmacy – Mary Smith
- Fresh Greens Swag donated by Kathryn Burton – Beth Stone
- Fresh Greens Swag donated by Tathams – Trellis
- Snow & Ice Tree donated by Jeanne Goodman – Carol Myers
- Wreath w Cones & Bird donated by MVB Bank – Kerry Fasouletos
- Wax Nativity donated by Deb Miller – Rick Remish
- Vintage Ornament Tree donated by Darlene Bolyard – Rhonda Braham
- Lottery Tree donated by WV Lottery/Garden Creations – Helene Headley
- DQ Treats Wreath donated by Reedsville Dairy Queen – Marcia Hughes
- Wreath w Santa Head donated by Mane Tamer – Bev Zeigler
- Mountaineer Tree donated by MountainPath Properties – Janet Robinson
- 3 Wreath Santa donated by Browns Mill LP Service – Judy Harder
- Red Berry Wreath donated by Dee Hayes – Judy Harder
- Square Wreath donated by Clear Mountain Bank – Sarah McLaughlin
- Quilt ornament tree donated by Homestead Quilt Guild – Marcia Hughes
- Small Berry Wreath donated by Deb Miller – Janet Cherry
- Dried Wreath donated by Alisha Myers – Janet Robinson
- Harley Davidson tree donated by Marilee Hall – Heidi Gidley
- Candy tree donated by Affordable Signs Unlimited – Lorraine Weaver
- Angel Wreath donated by Marilee Hall – Donna Harris
- Bow & Cones Swag donated by Louise Myers/Karen Tustin – Irene Durr
- Fresh Greens Wreath donated by Garden Creations – Carol Myers
- Red Ribbon Wreath donated by Hospice Care Corp. – Darlene Bolyard
- Eleanor Wreath donated by Jeanne Goodman – Jeanne Goodman
- Snowman Basket donated by Lorraine Weaver – Joe & Mary Wolfe
- Cloth Ornament Tree donated by Kathryn Burton – Darlene Bolyard
We appreciate your support of historic Arthurdale!